About Me

My photo
I love crafting, especially rubber stamping. Most weekends I can be found surrounded by paper, rubber stamps and ink.

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Ride The Big Wave

Hi all,

Our friend Jai has a birthday this weekend and his wife is throwing a surprise party for him on Saturday evening. I won't be able to attend as I'll be in northern California for a family thing, but Mr. Personal Chef will be going. The party has a Hawaiian them and I made two cards, one for each of us to give him.

For this first one, I pulled out some grass paper and stamped some Hawaiian images randomly using SU Archival black ink and then colored them with SU markers. The focal image is stamped on Strathmore watercolor paper and watercolored with Tim Holtz Distress inks. The side wave is cut with a Taylored Expressions wave border die from paper that I smooched with blue Distress ink.
The layout is from the MFT weekly sketch challenge from a few weeks ago.





These Hawaiian stamps I picked up years ago in Hawaii. I have quite a collection of them. Hawaii used to be part of my work territory so I'd make a trip over about 3 to 4 times per year. I have relatives that live in Kailua and I'd stay with them instead of a hotel, and I usually managed to stay the weekends before and after my work week. I found this little stamp store in the Pearl City area and picked up stamps about every trip.

Here's the inside.



Now for the second card that I made for Jai's birthday. For this one I used the current Freshly Made Sketch. The background large Hawaii state stamp is from that same store.



For the three horizontal elements, I cut three waves using the Lawn Fawn wave dies and glued them together to form the water. They are made using Zig Real Brush markers directly onto watercolor paper and then moving the ink around with copious amounts of water and a paint brush. Using the Misti stamping tool, I stamped the sentiment on the right bottom of the water. I needed to stamp it several times to get it dark enough and the Misti works great for that. Kona the gecko is stamped in SU Archival black ink and watercolored with Zig markers as well. I fussy cut the image and popped him over the water with foam tape. I used some glossy accents over his eyes for more dimension and depth.

Here's the inside.



Thanks for looking in. I hope everyone has a fab weekend!
Colleen

Supplies
Card 1
Stamps: RSP Honolulu, Hi (all images)
Paper: SU Crumb Cake card base, grass cloth/paper, Strathmore watercolor paper
Ink: SU Archival black, Tim Holtz Distress Ink, SU markers
Other: Die-namics Pierced Fishtail Flag and Double Stitched Round dies, Taylored Expressions Wave Border die, wooden sunglasses, the Big Shot, foam tape, mini glue dots

Card 2
Stamps: Kona Hangs Loose by The Craft Lounge and Hawaii State stamp by RSP Honolulu, HI
Paper: Strathmore Bristol Smooth card stock and Strathmore watercolor paper
Ink: SU Archival Black ink and Zig Real Brush Markers, SU Island Indigo
Other: Lawn Fawn Ocean Wave Border dies, the Big Shot, Misti Stamping tool, foam tape, Glossy Accents

2 comments:

  1. Love your FMS card, Colleen!!!! Lovely creative take on the sketch!!!!!
    Have a great day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your three little waves for the sketch!! So fun behind that cute little surfer. And your insides are a wonderful addition! Thank you for playing along with us at Freshly Made Sketches.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on my projects are appreciated. I love hearing from you!